- Mental Illnesses
- Finding Answers
- Recovery Stories
- NARSAD Grants & Prizes
- Apply for a NARSAD Grant
- Our Scientific Council
- NARSAD Young Investigator Grant
- NARSAD Independent Investigator Grants
- NARSAD Distinguished Investigator Grant
- Klerman & Freedman Prizes
- Outstanding Achievement Prizes
- Productive Lives Awards
- Productive Lives Nomination Form
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Get Involved
You are hereAbout ›
Who we are
Since 1987 the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation has awarded nearly $300 million in over 4,000 NARSAD grants to more than 3,300 scientists around the world.
The Brain & Behavior Research Foundation is committed to alleviating the suffering caused by mental illness by awarding grants that will lead to advances and breakthroughs in scientific research.
How we do it:
100% of all donor contributions for research are invested in NARSAD Grants leading to discoveries in understanding causes and improving treatments of disorders in children and adults, such as depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, autism, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, and anxiety disorders like obsessive-compulsive and post-traumatic stress disorders.
Over a quarter of a century, we have awarded nearly $300 million worldwide to more than 3,300 scientists carefully selected by our prestigious Scientific Council.
To bring the joy of living to those affected by mental illness – those who are ill and their families and friends.
What we believe:
- Better treatments and breakthroughs come from scientific discovery.
- Only fund scientists whose research is reviewed and recommended by a world-renowned Scientific Council including Nobel prize winners and chairs of psychiatric departments.
- 100% of contributions for research go directly to research. Costs for administration and fund raising are underwritten by outside grants.
- Our financial operations must be transparent. Those who manage our Foundation must be committed to honesty and integrity.
- Strategic partnerships that further our mission will be developed with transparency.