Ask an Expert

Question of the Day

Robert C. Malenka, M.D., Ph.D. - Brain & behavior research expert on anxiety
September 11, 2013

There are many, many ways to alleviate stress but the particular approaches an individual takes can vary. It is important to identify and, as much as possible, understand the sources of the stress. Then, perhaps with the help of a professional therapist, take whatever steps are possible to eliminate or at least reduce these sources. Perhaps there are professional, relationship, or financial problems that can be addressed. Of course, it is frequently not possible to eliminate stress from our lives, and additional strategies are helpful such as exercise, meditation, or changes in lifestyle (e.g., making more time for enjoyable, relaxing activities, changing eating habits). It is important to remember that there is no simple solution to alleviating stress. It will take motivation and developing a multi-step plan.


Robert C. Malenka, M.D., Ph.D.
Scientific Council Member
1990, 1992 and 2007 NARSAD Grantee
2010 Goldman-Rakic Prize for Outstanding Achievement
in Cognitive Neuroscience
Pritzker Professor in Psychiatry and Behavorial Sciences
Stanford University School of Medicine

TAGS: Anxiety
John H. Krystal, M.D.
Q How can a doctor or counselor help me feel less afraid or tense?
A Many people are troubled by thoughts and feelings that they do not feel... More >
Eric J. Nestler, M.D., Ph.D. - Brain & behavior expert on anxiety
Q Based off your mouse studies, do you think that the majority of men who are prone to stress and anxiety are fated to have children with the same issues?
A No. An individual’s risk for a syndrome as complex and variable as... More >