Ask an Expert

Question of the Day

Husseini K. Manji, M.D.
October 31, 2011

The world of neuroscience really is exploding, and I like to say that this is a renaissance in this field. We are learning more and more about the genetics of mental health and also learning more about specific illnesses and their symptomatology, diagnosis and treatments.  I believe we have great potential to treat treatment-resistant depression as well as develop antidepressants that work rapidly.

Similarly, efforts are underway to try to understand “resilience pathways” that could potentially be enhanced to treat the long-term course of bipolar disorder. Unfortunately, new treatment development is very complex and often unpredictable. However, I am optimistic that we will see novel treatments coming through for mood disorders.


Husseini K. Manji, M.D.
Scientific Council Member
Global Therapeutic Area Head, Neuroscience
Johnson and Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development
Visiting Professor, Duke University

Eric J. Nestler, M.D., Ph.D. - Brain & behavior research expert on depression
Q What do you see on the horizon in the next few years as a breakthrough treatment for depression?
A Several rapidly acting antidepressants are currently in clinical trial,... More >
Husseini K. Manji, M.D.
Q Is Ketamine a possible treatment option for bipolar?
A Ketamine is an experimental treatment for mental health conditions and is... More >