- Mental Illnesses
- Finding Answers
- Recovery Stories
- NARSAD Grants & Prizes
- Apply for a NARSAD Grant
- Our Scientific Council
- NARSAD Young Investigator Grant
- NARSAD Independent Investigator Grants
- NARSAD Distinguished Investigator Grant
- Klerman & Freedman Prizes
- Outstanding Achievement Prizes
- Productive Lives Awards
- Productive Lives Nomination Form
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Get Involved
Transforming Despair into Artwork Helps Fund Brain and Behavior Research
In 1989, Patsy and Hal Hollister founded NARSAD Artworks, a 501(c) 3 non-profit corporation dedicated to reproducing and selling museum-quality art by talented artists whose lives have shared the common bond of mental illness. The artists are paid at prevailing commercial rates, and all proceeds flow to NARSAD-funded research to understanding causes and improve treatments of mental illness.
Millions of note cards, holiday cards, posters, bookmarks, T-shirts and calendars designed by artists who are mentally ill or have a mentally ill family member have been distributed nationwide. Some of these artists are formally trained and some are self-taught. Some have jobs and live independently. Others live in sheltered environments. All live lives at least partially shaped by mental illness.
Please have a look at the beautiful, moving artwork and consider supporting NARSAD Artworks. The work produced by NARSAD Artworks has many benefits:
- provides self-esteem and income for the artists
- employs mentally ill persons
- promotes public education and de-stigmatization of mental illness
- raises funds to invest in brain and behavior research
Visit www.narsadartworks.org to view and to purchase any of these items.
Featured Artwork of the Week:
Robin has worked in watercolors for 15 years. She is diagnosed with schizophrenia and has spent the past eleven years studying at the Peterson Center in Utah. She also enjoys reading, the outdoors and people, and has been married to a wonderful man for five years.