- Mental Illnesses
- Finding Answers
- Recovery Stories
- NARSAD Grants & Prizes
- Apply for a NARSAD Grant
- Our Scientific Council
- NARSAD Young Investigator Grant
- NARSAD Independent Investigator Grants
- NARSAD Distinguished Investigator Grant
- Klerman & Freedman Prizes
- Outstanding Achievement Prizes
- Productive Lives Awards
- Productive Lives Nomination Form
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Get Involved
You are hereDiscoveries ›
“If it is to be, it is up to me.” Help Me Support Brain Health!
I have been tossing the idea of a fund-raiser for Brain Health Research for several years. The first time I heard about NARSAD (now the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation) and what it did, I knew it would become one of my favorite causes. I love the fact that 100% of donations targeted for research go directly toward funding scientists and doctors who study the brain.
In the last 6 years I have discovered that almost everyone is affected in some way by mental illness: Autism, ADHD, OCD, PTSD, Schizophrenia, Depression, Bi Polar … Almost every family I meet is dealing with at least one of these illnesses. Yet, this Foundation is a pretty well-kept secret. It is time to change this!
BRAIN HEALTH. There are 11 letters in the two words brain health. So I have begun planning an ‘11’ party/fund-raiser. If it is to be, it is up to me. The date, of course, will be 11-11-11. I will capitalize on the number 11, use, overuse, and probably abuse it.
1. The first item on my agenda to make this happen: get some others on board to help! I want to enlist the help of ‘11’ people, including myself, and form a committee. At the time of this writing, I have 4 great members. We will meet each month until 11-11-11 on the 11th at precisely 7:11 p.m.
2. Rent the hall to hold this spectacular event. I have begun this process.
3. Other ideas so far …
• Sell advance tickets for $11. Tickets will also be available at the door. Get the ticket printing donated.
• Offer a simple and delicious homemade meal for $11. Find a partner and get all ingredients donated.
• Sell t-shirts that promote Brain Health awareness for $11. Find a partner and get the t-shirts donated.
• In conjunction with the meal, have a bake sale. Plates of cookies, cupcakes, etc will contain ‘11’ instead of 12. Of course, all baked goods will be donated.
• Have a silent auction, asking donations from local businesses, craftsmen and anyone who wishes to donate.
• Have information tables with free literature on the latest research from the Foundation, information on support for families from NAMI, and the latest in advocacy from Mental Health America
• Sell Campaign for Productive Lives items.
• To help defray expenses, ask business and individuals for a donation of $11. Extra money will be donated.
Ready, Set, GO! Let’s have a party – and support brain health!
Plan one for your area. Go ahead, copy me, PLEASE!
Written by Mona Rottinghaus. Mona is organizing an event called the “11″ Party.